Built in 1754/7, the Sheldon House has an 1802 single-story ell or addition to the rear. The house is interpreted to the period of 1780 to 1810, when the house was occupied by three generations of Sheldon family members. The expansion of the house in 1802 was probably done with the expectation that several Sheldon children would marry and increase the household. The Sheldons were farmers whose livelihood included fattening cattle penned in stalls on provender (corn, peas, and oats) and hay. In the early spring drovers took the fattened cattle to Brighton (near Boston) for slaughter.
The house is open during the regular season for self-guided tours from 9:30am to 4:30pm. A Guide is available to answer questions.